Welcome to our tiny villages. We do not have much space and the roads are narrow, with few pavements, so please be considerate when parking and driving through.
The Dales Rule of thumb “think twice, think differently” about...
- The Rural Economy
- Road Safety
Please take a moment to consider:
Parking – this is where you can help us most.
- The Village Greens - the honesty boxes help us keep the greens green.
- Market days – please remember Friday in Reeth – it would help if you could move your cars on Thursday night.
- Large vehicles – agricultural vehicles and oil tankers still have to get up and down the Dale so please keep this in mind.
- If in doubt ask someone where it is best to park – “we like to help”.
Support the rural economy – buy from local shops (Reeth and Muker) and markets.
- Please use the bins – even better – take it home with you.
- Dog Fouling – as for a city please clean up after your dog.
- Road Safety – many roads are narrow with blind bends and front doors opening right onto the road.
- If it says 20mph it is probably because there have been many bumps there.
- Fish and Chip Van day (Friday) – be aware there will be queues in the road for this very popular attraction.
Swaledale’s not a running around type of dale, people have time.
In general local people like to chat and are willing to give advice so don’t be afraid to ask.