Muker often features in photos and paintings, being one of the loveliest villages in Swaledale. The former school is now a gallery and craft shop, next to Swaledale Woollens, which sells knitwear knitted locally from Swaledale sheep wool and has a plaque commemorating one of three visits made to Muker by Prince Charles. Opposite the Farmer’s Arms pub is one of four listed buildings, a telephone box designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott.
The Church of St Mary the Virgin, first built in 1580, may originally have had a thatched roof and at one time had a gallery running the full length of the church, and is listed, along with the old font opposite its front door. Until this church was built, corpses in upper Swaledale had to be carried miles downdale to St Andrews at Grinton along the "Corpse Way". Various "corpse" stones still exist, where the men carrying the body would rest, one of the easiest to find being at Ivelet Bridge, between Gunnerside and Muker.
The last listed building in the village is the pretty Victorian Literary Institute with railings which was built in 1867 and at the time contained 600 books. It is now the home of Muker Silver Band, who rehearse there twice a week.